If you have 4C hair, then you would agree with us when we say that getting the perfect twist-out on them requires a level of expertise. Apart from having to deal with the dryness and frizz that comes with the package, your twist-out may turn out with little to no curl definition. It could even be that yours turned out nice at first but didn’t last more than a day. These challenges discourage many people with this hair type from attempting to wear their hair in this style, so they opt for other protective styling methods.
We promise you that getting the perfect twist-out on your 4C hair is very much possible and easy. All you need is to get the right products and tools, and also follow the right steps as you will be guided in this blog post. So read on to find out the best products for achieving the perfect twist-out on 4C and a step-by-step guide you can follow.
The Best Twist-Out Products For 4c Hair
To achieve a perfect twist-out we recommend that you use the following products from Curls Dynasty. How to use them will be explained in the tutorial part of this article.
- Pumpkin Mint Deep Treatment Deep Conditioning Masque
This deep conditioning masque is filled with vitamins and nutrients that penetrate your hair shaft and revitalizes the strands. It helps repair damaged hair and also prevents future damage. It prepares your hair for the protective hairstyle you’re about to get by softening it and starting the moisturizing process.
- Kalahari Smoothie Leave-in
Every self-respecting naturalista with 4C hair will agree that moisturizing is the key to 4C hair success. This leave-in conditioner provides you with the maximum moisture that your hair and scalp need to stay healthy. It has a creamy texture that penetrates your hair cuticles easily to keep your strands alive. It also helps you detangle your hair easily because the moisture allows your comb to pass through your hair without tugging at the roots.
- Organic Oil Blend
After applying your leave-in conditioner, you must seal it with essential oils to prevent your moisture from drying out. So, if you want your hair to remain moisturized for a longer period, we recommend this product. Another benefit of using this oil blend is that it gives your hair a shiny look.
- Twisted Definition Twisting Cream
Whether or not your twist-out turns out with fully defined curls largely depends on the products you use on your hair. This twisting cream helps your hair strands lock in moisture and keeps your curls popping. To get maximum benefit, make sure the product gets to all your hair strands.
How to Do Twist-Out on 4C Hair
You need the following tools for twist-out on 4C hair:
- A rat-tail comb
- A wide-tooth comb or detangling brush
- Sectioning clips
- A spray bottle
- A satin/ silk hair scarf, cap, or bonnet
Here are the steps to follow for perfect twist-outs on 4C hair:
- Shampoo your hair thoroughly and deep condition it. This is to give the hair a fresh start. Shampooing your hair helps you clean the accumulated dirt and product build-up off your hair and scalp. It allows new hair products to penetrate your hair and scalp. Deep conditioning your hair helps moisturize and hydrate your hair and scalp. 4C hair is prone to dryness, frizz, and breakage because of its zigzag coils. Using a deep conditioner helps you keep breakage at a minimum. Apply Curls Dynasty Pumpkin Mint Deep Treatment Deep Conditioning Masque to your hair after shampooing. Cover it up with a shower cap for 15 to 30 minutes and then rinse off with warm water.
- After drying your hair (air-drying is the safest method), apply Curls Dynasty Kalahari Smoothie Leave-in Conditioner to your hair. This leave-in conditioner will help moisturize your hair and also make detangling easier. We recommend that you divide your hair into sections for easy application.
- Seal in the leave-in conditioner with Curls Dynasty Organic Oil Blend. This is to endure that the moisture from the conditioner does not dry out since it is a water-based product. It also keeps your scalp moisturized and gives your hair a shiny look.
- Once the moisture has been sealed in, you can start twisting your hair. Take a small section of your detangled hair (about 3 to 4 square inches), spray it with a little water, and apply Curls Dynasty Twisted Definition Twisting Cream to it. Massage the product into your hair strands a little bit and then twist the hair. You can twist using either the two-strand method or the three-strand method. For the two-strand method, you will divide the part you want to twist into two strands and twist them around each other. For the three-strand on the other hand, you will divide the hair into three strands and braid them around one another. Any of these two methods works just fine.
- Leave the twists on for at least 8 hours. The ideal thing is to leave it overnight for the curls to form fully. If you’ll be leaving them overnight, you must sleep with a satin or silk hair scarf or bonnet to avoid losing all your moisture. If you allow your hair’s moisture to dry out, it will cause frizz in your hair and ultimately breakage.
- Take out the twists the next day (or whenever you choose to) and style as you wish.
In conclusion, your 4C hair is not too ‘stubborn’ to achieve twist-outs, you just haven’t used the right methods. If you follow the above tutorial and use the specified products, you will have the perfect twist-out you want.